January 22, 2013 by Brokers International
The insurance and financial professionals who work with us often tell us that one of the main hurdles they have to using social media is to be able to come up with content ideas. Every month, we will be providing a blog post with 5 solid topic ideas that you can use to write blog posts or videos and posts for Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn—depending on which sites you use for your inbound marketing.
What is inbound marketing?
Inbound marketing is any messaging you put out there as value for your audience that causes them to seek you out. Social media is inbound marketing because you’re not interrupting them to shove a branded message at them, instead you’re inviting them to have some value you have to offer.
5 Social Media Post Ideas
- How to create a budget. An astounding 56% of U.S. adults admitted that they do not have a budget based on the results of the 6th Annual 2012 Financial Literacy Survey1. It’s likely that some of your clients are among that number. Being a resource for them on a variety of topics that impact them can keep them coming back to your blog on a regular basis.
- How do recent tax law changes affect you? A hot topic in the New Year and many people might be out there wondering what potential ramifications they might expect. You can be that resource for them, and provide information that can help them start to build a relationship with you.
- Tips to save money around the house. From high efficiency appliances to simple tips like turning off lights when you’re not in the room, saving money around the house is something that can benefit all of your clients. There are big fixes like new appliances and insulation; seasonal changes like putting plastic on windows in the winter and having a water gage to save on sewer costs for watering plants and the lawn; and simple tricks that you can list in different categories as a helpful checklist.
- Planning for college costs. Many of your clients probably have children that are nearing college age or maybe just out of college—either way it’s a big expense. Help them plan or ease that burden with some useful tips on ways they can save.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn. “There’s nothing wrong with a little self promotion now and again, but your content shouldn’t just be all you, you, you. It should be helpful, educational, positioned to inform your audience about what they need to know2.” A good way to start growing your audience is to start gaining connections on LinkedIn. You can invite them to connect by mentioning that they will also be receiving the benefit of your LinkedIn status updates that can alert them to new helpful posts and any events you may have scheduled.
Just be sure in your writing that you’re not recommending a specific product (annuity, life insurance, etc.), and don’t talk about carriers or their products. As always, you should refer to our post on Steps to Compliance.
If you’re looking for an example, here’s a blog in the industry that you might want to check out: Good Financial Cents written by Jeff Rose, a Certified Financial Planner™.
1Yocum, Jeanne. “Survey shows many Americans lack financial know-how.” MassLive.com (2012): n.p. Web. 21 Jan 2013. <http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2012/04/survey_shows_many_americans_lack_financi.html>.
2Eridon, Corey. “How to write the most boring content of all time.” HubSpot (2012): n.p. Web. 21 Jan 2013. <http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/33329/How-to-Write-the-Most-Boring-Content-of-All-Time.aspx>.
The information and opinions in this article are provided by third parties and have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed by Brokers International. It is given for informational purposes only and is not a solicitation to buy or sell the products mentioned. The information is not intended to be used as the sole basis for financial decisions, nor should it be construed as advice designed to meet the particular needs of an individual’s situation.
An insurance agent may not appear, directly or indirectly, as a financial planner, investment advisor, consultant, financial counselor, or any other specialist engaged in the business of giving financial planning or advice relating to investments, insurance, real estate, tax matters or trust and estate matters when such person is in fact engaged only in the sale of policies. You must ensure you hold the proper licenses and registrations necessary to discuss securities products and/or perform fee-based financial planning. You should consult your own legal counsel and the laws in each state in which you conduct business and understand completely what is considered investment or securities advice. You must also comply with all requirements of an entity under which you are registered to do business.
Posted by Brokers International on January 22, 2013 in Social Media , 5 social media post ideas, blog post ideas, blog posts for insurance and financial professionals, Brokers International social media, building your brand, social media, social media blog posts, social media content, social media content ideas, social media for financial professionals, social media for insurance professionals, social media for the financial industry, social media for the insurance industry, social media post ideas
- Profiling clients in the Maintenance Stage of retirement
- Take what you’ve learned and market to clients in the Transition Stage
- Resources to help your clients determine Social Security timing
- Help your clients navigate the Transition Stage
- Supporting your clients during the Transition Stage of retirement
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012